Monday, September 24, 2007

Sorry - nothing uploaded for this week!
FROM THE ARCHIVES:
Czar - Czar (1970)
The four members of Czar began as "Tuesday's Children" in 1967. They played the well-known clubs like the Marquee, toured with The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, The Nice, The Animals, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, King Crimson and many others. In 1970 they changed their name to "Czar", recorded an album and promptly disappeared. The album they left behind is a pretty good proto-progressive/psychedelic effort, dominated by Mellotron and Hammond organ battling against some blues-based guitar riffs and thudding drums. Britain in the late sixties and early seventies wasn't exactly undergoing a shortage of bands like Czar, bands that today are described as 'proto-prog', and Czar probably isn't the best of them, but their album is well worth having and is a real good addition to the collection of anyone interested in rock music from this era. Ripped @ 320. Artwork included.

Download

Marianne Faithfull - Greatest Hits (1987)
This is my Thrift Store find this week. This CD was released on the Abkco label in 1987, Executive Producer Andrew Loog Oldham. I wonder whatever happened to him. Wasn't he the "Sixth Rolling Stone" or something? Anyway this has 16 tracks purporting to be her greatest hits. I don't know her music at all, but I picked this up for one dollar thinking that some, at least, of the horde of readers bound to be attracted to my blog would appreciate it. LOL! Ripped @ 320. Artwork included.

Download

Gomorrha - I Turned To See Whose Voice It Was (1972)
Doomy and aggressive yet brimming with a cosmic folkiness, this near-masterpiece of psychedelic German rock was released in 1972, marking the high point and the climax of Gomorrha's short career. Dominated by a churchy Hammond organ played by Eberhard Krietsch and the spaced out acid guitars of Ali Claudi and Ad Ochel, the lyrics are suitably bizarre, concerning life, death, religion and visionary dreams with a lot of quoting from the Book of Revelation by English singer Peter Otten. Bassist Mike Eulner and drummer Helmut Pohl anchor some tasty psychedelic jams that are played in the fashion that only the best Krautrockers can pull off. This is a brilliant mix of psychedelic and progressive rock that never gets raunchy or heavy. Head-melting electric guitars, Hammond organ freakouts mingling with quiet acoustic passages and weird lyrics make this an album that should be in any Krautrock fan's collection. Artwork included.

Download

Taste - Taste (1969)
Taste - On The Boards (1970)
In the late sixties Rory Gallagher fronted a power trio with Richard 'Charlie' McCracken on bass and John Wilson on drums. This band recorded two studio albums before imploding, and these albums are as different as they could be. The first one, "Taste" is raw. Really raw. I'm no expert, but it sounds like it was recorded live to four-track in a small studio, with little if any overdubbing or post production. Rory's guitar playing could be heavy-handed, some of the leads seem to wander, there might have been some slight issues with tuning, but Taste had soul, there's no denying that, and there are moments of greatness on this first record. The second record "On The Boards" has Rory showing a little restraint, the production is slick, the songwriting is markedly improved, with a sometimes jazzy, experimental thing going on. Personally I think "On The Boards" is the best thing Rory Gallagher ever did. As different as these two albums are, if you like guitar playing you need them both.

Taste:
Download

On The Boards:
Download

Golem - Orion Awakes (1973)
Alright. Now for some Krautrock (possibly fake!). All indications are that Golem's "Orion Awakes" is considered an obscure classic of psychedelia from the German underground scene of the early seventies. Well I don't really know what to make of that. If I even had one microgram of a mind-altering substance in my body, I would be afraid to listen to this thing!. There are no long drawn-out spacy instrumental jams, no songs about love and peace, the emphasis is on trance-inducing, hammering, pulsing, pounding grooves. This is some real wild stuff and deserves a listen. Interestingly, this was produced by one Genesis P Orridge, later of Throbbing Gristle.

Download

Gäa - Alraunes Alptraum (1973)

Gäa (In English Gaia) was a suitably cosmic band of German deep-space voyagers who released one brilliant album (Auf Der Bahn Zum Uranus - On The Road To Uranus) to absolutely no acclaim, then broke up. "Alraunes Alptraum" (something about a nightmare) is a collection of unreleased material that is just as good I think as the stuff on their regular release. Gäa was the real deal, the real Krautrock deal. Enigmatic lyrics sung in German, spacy jams, quiet passages, crescendoes, climaxes, amazing instrumental interplay. If you are remotely interested in Krautrock, you should check this one out.

Download

OK see ya.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been tempted to try that Czar album before... thanks for dragging it back up to the surface.

6:15 PM, September 24, 2007  
Blogger Behnam said...

Hi Liam!
How Are You?

''Taste'' always tastes marvelous. It's one of my favourite blues rock bands...Thanks.

Dear Liam, I'm going to Damascus tomorrow & then to Caracas. It's a five day trip. It takes about 13 hours from Damascus to Caracas by plane. I like the traditional Sheraton hotel in Damascus & also Gran Melia Caracas hotel is a 5-Star hotel. I can go for a swim there. Gran Melia has a very nice pool, wow BIG! On the way back we have to have our Boeing 747-SP refueled in Paris & If I get lucky I will see Paris. I Love Paris.

Well I've got to prepare myself for the Long Journey! I almost forgotten the Spanish language. So I should take a look at my Collins pocket dictionary. It's very useful.

I wish You the Best & keep on ROCKING, Coz WE LOVE YOUR BLOG.

Good Night!
Behnam
Iran

12:04 PM, September 25, 2007  
Blogger ELASTIC ROCK said...

Say NO to Totally Fuzzy Police-like acting!
http://aroundtheblogs-aroundtheblogs.blogspot.com/

2:58 PM, September 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
And thanks for all your great uploads. Here's a little gift from me, Guru Guru's 4th album. I haven't seen it posted here, you'll find it here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EJ0SQKYL

7:06 AM, September 26, 2007  
Blogger I said...

thanks for the marianne.

3:41 PM, September 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for Gäa album, somehow overlooked it.

5:55 PM, September 26, 2007  
Blogger Roderick Verden said...

Garcolga, I repeat that i 've heard rares and excellents albums in your blog. Thank you very much, my friend.

11:46 AM, September 27, 2007  
Blogger ELASTIC ROCK said...

OK. TIME TO TURN THE CARDS...
I started a joke, but I found the naked truth. I started it all to test how much freedom the music bloggers think is right to have in their community. But I sadly found A WORLD OF HYPOCRITES.
I found:
1) bloggers that everyday steal music, cover arts, album credits and so on from the legal rights owners to post them in their blogs, that becomes crazy of rage if someone takes their (their?) links to do the same thing in another blog, and call leecher - intended as thief - who get the links. Thiefs that call thief who simply amplify their works, that they say is "sharing"! Hypocrites!
2) a blogger totally fuzzed that owns a blog that do not post anything but only links to other blogs that blacklist a site that do not post but only links! Hypocrite!
3) bloggers that say that they do their blogs to share their music that are jealous of what they share, and pretend to put rules regarding the use you must do of what they share! Hypocrites!
4) bloggers that show jelaousy and verbal and ideological violence towards who do not think like them, in a community born for the free exchange of music, experience and culture. Hypocrites!
I started a joke, and what's better than a naked girl (do you really thought I am really interested in such a poor thing like a nude in the modern world yet full of it?) to provoke a reaction and see what kind of people you are? Nobody resists to say something about, and to judge, eventually! And what's better than repost some link! The educations is soon revealed: ChrisGR menace me of a kick in the balls! And how much like sheeps to say: shame... and ready to condamn. For such poor things!
This is your world, a world you made full of hypocrisy, jealuosy and black lists. It' seems to me too similar to some reich we knew... Think about it, bloggers...
And so the game it's over, 'cos I'm yet tired of this all. But at last, I'd like to see if the BIg Chief Fuz will have the balls to publish this. But, sadly, I think no...

http://aroundtheblogs-aroundtheblogs.blogspot.com/

2:10 PM, September 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried Czar. And it is good! Thanks!

10:37 AM, September 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I already had Gomorrha - excellent - and now you've reminded me of Taste's first album, I must get it. Hope all's well with you Liam; here summer is over but Autumn is always my favourite season. Cheers - Julie

3:28 PM, September 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home