Monday, August 27, 2007

Well guess what? In a couple days this blog will be two years old! I made the first post on August 29, 2005. Happy Birthday to us, and many thanks to all of you, especially those of you have taken the time over the last couple of years to say hello.

Guru Guru - Hinten (1971)
I don't know whose ass that is in the cover - and I don't want to! Guru Guru's second album is a wild ride into acid-space, almost completely instrumental, with four tracks hovering around the 10-minute mark. Great kraut jamming, totally chaotic. Not relaxing in the least!

High VBR w/artwork Download

Dorian Gray - Idahaho Transfer (1976)
Hopelessly obscure band from Meinerzhagen, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany released only one album in 1976, in a limited run of 200 copies. Raw keyboard/guitar based progressive rock with great male and female vocals in German. Could have been produced a little better but the enthusiasm and musicianship of the players makes this a satisfying listen. Very nice.

Bitrate 320 w/scans Download

Jefferson Airplane - Long John Silver (1972)
The last studio album from the Airplane, I think it was slagged by critics at the time, and sales weren't all that good. All the members were involved in side projects and it was clear that The Airplane was landing soon. But every song on this album is strong, and this is an underrated gem. Jorma Kaukonen's guitar and Papa John Creach's violin at times intertwine beautifully. The cover of the original LP could be made into a stash box! I wonder if there are any of those stash boxes still around?

High VBR w/scanned booklet Part 1 Part 2

Altona - Altona (1974)
"This sextet began their recording career as Thrice Mice. As such, they made one album for Phillips in 1971. Some years later they renamed themselves Altona, now expanded to a septet. Altona was the name of a suburb of Hamburg (perhaps this was the place where they came from?). A typical Altona song lasted for 5-7 minutes, had lots of sax and guitars and was largely based on blues and jazz rock. Their albums were produced by one Klaus Bohlmann. Altona were among the better jazz-rockers of the mid-seventies, although they never really excelled. Check them out if progressive jazz-rock appeals to you." (Cosmic Dreams At Play)

Bitrate 256 w/artwork Download

Cold Heat - Heavy Funk Rarities 1968-1974
Alright how about something different, for this blog anyway. We can't listen to psych/prog all the time can we? This is an awesome collection, just like the cover says, of heavy funk/soul tracks, mostly mastered from 45's I think. 16 great tracks from bands you never heard of!

1. The Thing - Carleen & The Groovers
2. Free Your Mind - Amnesty
3. The Stretch (edit) - Detroit Sex Machines
4. Loaded To The Gills (edit) - Michael Liggins & The Supersouls
5. Go For Your Self (edit) - Kenny Smith & The Loveliters
6. Slipping Into Darkness - Dayton Sidewinders
7. James Brown Medley - The Apollo Commanders
8. Cold Heat - Lil' Lavair and The Fabulous Jades
9. The Cissys Thang - The Soul Seven
10. Color (original 7" version) - L.A. Carnival
11. Don't Go - The Aristocrats
12. Drugs Ain't Cool (instrumental) - Ebony Rhythm Band
13. Mr. Chicken (alternate take) - The Soul Seven
14. Street Scene - Leon Mitchison
15. Scorpio - Kashmere Stage Band
16. The Sad Chicken - Leroy & the Drivers

High VBR w/covers Part 1 Part 2

OK later!

35 Comments:

Blogger twee4one said...

Happy Birthday - 8daysinApril !!!

... and thank you for all the music during the last 2 years.

6:04 PM, August 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, and thanks for all your uploads.

11:05 PM, August 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday and thanx for all the post from me too.
Best,
Sirio 2222

12:09 AM, August 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! great stuff!

12:57 AM, August 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello and happy birthday. I love the Dorian Grey album. It sounds a little bit unprofessional but thats especially the thing i like on this record. Very Fine!
Thanks again.

5:01 AM, August 28, 2007  
Blogger Roderick Verden said...

Happy birthday and thank you for Dorain Grey, excellent. Your blog is excellent too.
Cheers

5:43 AM, August 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, and thanks a lot for all the great music you've made available!

Keep up the excellent work!

dr. Qi

7:13 AM, August 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday for one of the best (if not the best) blogs around!
Keep flashin' on!

9:53 AM, August 28, 2007  
Blogger the6070Rock said...

Thanks Gar, your taste in music
ever RLZ !!!

ROCK ON

1:48 PM, August 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 2nd Birthday!! I really enjoy this site and you have introduced me to some great music. Thank You!!!---Rick

2:53 PM, August 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!
Let the music do the talking for one more year...
from Brasil.fd

6:20 PM, August 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your blog.Wish you the best and hope you ll be staying with us for the next 100 years!

Chris.

3:08 AM, August 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!
What is unique at 8 Days in April is that we can go back till the early days to find some excellent music!

8:08 AM, August 29, 2007  
Blogger Bilek said...

Happy birthday...
I'm not DL'ing much from here these days ('cause I already have what I'd be interested... well, I'm talking about the last couple of months only), but hey, that huge archive is more than enough for me ;)
keep up the good work!

P.S. as far as I know, that picture on the cover of Hinten (which means "Inside" by the way!) belongs to Mani Neumeier, a.k.a Mr. Guru Guru himself ;) Sorry for disclosing this non-pleasant information :P

1:41 PM, August 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lost about 8 or 9 of my favorite blogs this year, so I'm glad one of my top favorite blog is still alive & well. Many MORE!!

-->D.Moose

one more thing....did anyone tell you that you look a lot like that guy from Futurama? ^-^

4:10 PM, August 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to the best blog!

Fantastic posts as always, thanks for guru ass...

5:27 PM, August 29, 2007  
Blogger Sweet Revenge said...

I feel slighted since today was my first time here. Just had to let you know I spent the last 4 hours here and I must say INCREDIBLE blog. I just started a prob blog a couple of months ago and can only hope it is like yours someday. Thanks for all your hard work.... Joel

8:02 AM, August 30, 2007  
Blogger Flako said...

Thanks a lot for 2 great music filled years, you really rock a lot of people's world!! greetings from Mexico.

10:34 AM, August 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Liam,
Your blog, was my first in the blogsphere man...yeah that's right, the first one...you and Chris (I discover his blog later) are my two mentors of music...each one in their genre.
Many many thanks by this gems all over this two years.
Best regards and keep on...from Azores Islands, Kikas

12:26 PM, August 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Happy Upcoming Birthday! Yours is definitely one of the best blogs out there, and your dedication is very much appreciated!

6:26 PM, August 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to know there are still good people working to share their collection with the world.

Wish you and your blog many more happy years.

Thanks Garcolga.

LEONEL

8:03 PM, August 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Altona is superb, can't stop listening, Help!

7:55 AM, August 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very thanks to you GARCOLGA!
All the best from Mexico!
Aghori

10:51 AM, August 31, 2007  
Blogger Sweet Revenge said...

Love to have my link on your site I have a link to yours there. Thanks in advance and here's the url http://drwoe.blogspot.com/

2:08 AM, September 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Liam!
How are You?

This summer, I've become very busy having too many flights & little rest. I don't even have time to listen to the masterpieces YOU post & leave my comments about them. Well I appreciate your efforts in your great weblog & I want you to know that I always care...Thanks My Friend.

Good news are that I've bought a rapidshare account for a year & also as soon as I go to Malaysia I'm going to buy an 80GB IPod from Apple Co.. It's a very useful MP3/MP4 player which I can take it everywhere I travel & listen to the Gems of music from your archive.

Happy Birthday & I Wish You The Best...

Best Regards!
Behnam
Iran

2:23 PM, September 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday! it's been your blog that first pointed me to this style of music, one and a half year ago. you've opened up a whole world of new sounds for me. fabulous, thanks! rock on!!!

2:25 AM, September 02, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

well well well.....all the best to you, and - THANKS for sharing those precious gems!!

4:00 AM, September 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi bilek,

You're probably right - I guess the picture really shows the backside of Mr Neumeier. He was quite well known for getting undressed while playing live behind his drumkit (especially while playing "Elektrolurch")!
But I have to correct you: Hinten means backside in German, similar to the word Hintern, which means ... well, ass.

By the way: Happy Birthday! Garcolga!

Greetings from Germany,
mike-floyd

4:58 AM, September 02, 2007  
Blogger freakyz68 said...

Hi Garcolga,
I have enjoyed your blog since it first started, and sincerely thank you for your effort to share great music with the world! Your taste in music is exquisite! What a collection you have! I continue to be impressed every week. Thanks again!
Freakyz

8:50 AM, September 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Liam, thanks for your continuous dedication and congratulations on your evident success in promoting worthwhile music in the present world of musical pap. I don't download a lot but I like to look and read your comments. - Julie

10:58 AM, September 03, 2007  
Blogger Bilek said...

Hi mike-floyd!
thanks for helping me improve my German... I haven't used it for a long time (well, I never have the chance to!), and it becomes rusty :P

Great. Now I know another unpleasant German word ;)

cheers!

1:53 PM, September 03, 2007  
Blogger GarColga said...

Hi ARF - thanks

Hi stg - thanks

Hi Sirio 2222 - thanks

Hi anonymouses - thanks

Hi Roderick Verden - thanks

Hi dr. Qi - thanks

Hello franz - thanks

Hi 6070Rock !!!! - thanks

Hi Rick - thanks

Hello fd - thanks

Hi Chris - thanks. 100 years!!

Hello anonymous - thanks

Hi Bilek - thanks for the ass-info!

Hi D.Moose - thanks. Yes the resemblance is uncanny.

Hello anonymous - thanks

Hi Joel aka Dr Woe - thanks and have fun with your blog. I think I'm linked to you, I'll double check when I finish here.

Hello Behnam!

Hi Likedeeler - thanks, you old pirate!

Hi Flako - thanks & hello to Mexico!

Hello Kikas - thanks

Hi tucker - thanks

Hello Obiwan - thanks

Hi mike-floyd - thanks

Hello Freakyz - thanks

Hi Julie - thanks

I hope I didn't miss anybody, it got kind of confusing there. I'll try not to let the comments build up so much!

Thanks everybody!!!

4:02 PM, September 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more guy, me, to say thanx for all your sharings.
And happy Xmas (uhhhh, no, birthday !)

Outerpsych

6:19 AM, September 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great stuff...

Love Sculpture - dead link...

12:00 PM, January 23, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I said it some times before, and I hope to repeat it some times more: thank you very much for your hell of work, but the result is a really extraordinary blog!!!

saludos de Quito: RoBB

1:41 PM, January 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home